Company: DNV GL
Job Title: Business Manager, Loads Aero and Control ID 2019-12278
Job area: Energy, Sales and Business Development
Job Location: Bristol BS2 0PS, United Kingdom
Posted: 23rd of April 2019
Closing Date: 23rd of May 2019
Are you passionate about renewables and believe that wind energy can contribute to a safer, smarter and greener future? Then you might be the right candidate for our recently opened and exciting job opportunity as a Business Manager within the Loads Aero and Control Department (LAC).
DNV GL’s LAC department provides world-leading independent expertise in wind turbine technology. We believe this is a unique opportunity to join our vibrant team specialized in load calculations, aerodynamics, control design and implementation, to make an impact in the renewable energy industry.
We are looking for a candidate who has built a commercial profile based on a strong technical background.
We want to meet an energetic and enthusiastic individual capable of driving and promoting the team’s business development, sales and order intake activities. You should be confident in planning and running meetings with customers to discuss potential leads, ensuring an efficient process in how we present, bid and contract services.
Due to their technical and business acumen, the Business Manager will be required to apply foresight and innovation into how the services evolve based on the changing needs of our customers, market scenarios, industry developments and the evolution of the technical landscape. He/she will be required to translate customers’ needs into input to specialists within the department.
Face to face client contacts, meetings, conferences and other off-site events that will keep the LAC department profile high within the wind energy industry are a normal part of this role. At the same time the Business Manager needs to be confident in engaging with the Head of Department (HoD) and a team of circa 30 worldwide expert engineers who deliver consultancy engineering services in the area of load analysis and control system design for wind turbines. Our main customers are original equipment manufacturers, however the department also offers engineering services to support wind farm developers, owners and operators.
The role is based in our Bristol office and will involve travel worldwide for client visits together with attendance at conferences and events.
• Identify, drive and facilitate sales and market led opportunities in your area of competence e.g. generate leads, quality proposals and close deals (i.e. make the sale).
• Owning the departmental pipeline and Order Intake and ensuring that all the leads/opportunities are tracked and addressed in a timely manner directly or by delegating to relevant colleagues through line management.
• Analyse new business opportunities, gather market intelligence and ensure distribution of knowledge amongst relevant people
• Maintain an overview of the major market threats
• Decide the market approach for strategic and tactical projects in their area of competence together with their Head of Department and KVP leader respectively
• Lead and co-ordinate the sales-orientated staff (virtual sales force) in the same service area around the Region
• Lead the bid/no bid decision for their area of competence.
• You will act as a Project Sponsor on some projects (where delegated or agreed with your Head of Department who is ultimately accountable for projects in their markets).
• Being close to the market and our customers, you will monitor and anticipate market developments in your competence area, providing information to the HoD to enable strong resource planning and competency development of staff
• Contribute to the development of the Annual Operating plan for the area of competence
• Managing Manage multiple projects to ensure they are completed within timescale and budget within own area of competency
• Ensure high-quality proposals are delivered to customer in your area of competency
• Financial (budgetary control etc.)
Meets yearly targets for order intake & order pipeline development
• Non-financial (staff management etc)
None however coaching others in the department on sales activities/approaches is expected.
Required qualifications include:
• Masters’ degree in a related engineering field
• Ability to handle complex technical problems and be able to guide individuals through the associated issues
• Strong interpersonal, relationship and stakeholder management skills and experience of building long-term client relationships
• Demonstrates specialist knowledge and expertise in own area of competence (wind turbine control/loads analysis).
• Good understanding of the commercial basis for projects
• Demonstrates a professional approach to their work and is a good role model for junior engineers.
• Strong communication and organisational skills (both verbal and written), able to work effectively within a consultancy environment.
• Strong competence in proposal & report writing.
Desirable qualifications include:
• Knowledge and understanding of the wind turbine manufacturing industry, its current technology trends and potential future developments.
• Knowledge and understanding of the wind energy owners and operators industry with particular emphasis on the wind assets lifetime assessment market. Insights on the current trends and potential future developments.
• Experience of contributing to industry working groups and related networking activity.
• Experience of presenting at major industry events.
• Networking - builds a useful network of contacts and relationships and utilizes it to achieve objectives. Has a client focus and the ability to engage and interact with clients.
• Analysis & Judgement - quickly understands and analyses complex issues and problems; comes up with sound and rational judgements.
• Self development - is aware of own strengths and limitations and pursues learning and career development opportunities.
• Effective communication - communicates in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively.
• Innovation - produces fresh and imaginative ideas and solutions; breaks away from tradition; promotes change and novelty.
• Business development – contributes to identifying and seizing commercial opportunities; has a strong positive impact on business growth and profitability.
• Execution - adheres to company rules and procedures; executes plans with commitment and determination; achieves high quality results.
Conditions of Employment:
• long term Continued Professional development • 26 days annual leave + bank holidays
Location – The position is based in Bristol. The prospective candidate should be willing to travel on international assignments if required.
Get to know some of our colleagues, learn about the work they do, and find out what motivates them each day as they answer the question - why do you get up in the morning?
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.