Japan is experiencing strong growth in renewable energy, solar in particular, driven by high energy prices and government support. We at DNV GL are expanding our solar consulting practice in Japan and seeking a project engineer to meet customers’ requirements for delivering project by the local experts who have the knowledge of local requirements and experience of delivering projects.
DNV GL’s global solar team includes experts in PV system design, solar power plant operation, PV module manufacturing, PV module and inverter testing, equipment performance, and structural elements such as rooftop mounting systems and trackers. DNV GL global experience includes successfully contributing to more than 3,000 solar projects totally over 25,000 MW of capacity.
Visit https://www.dnvgl.com/energy/generation/index.html , and then https://www.dnvgl.com/energy/generation/solar/index.html for more information.
DNV GL’s solar service offerings in Japan include:
• Solar resource and energy assessment;
• Solar module, inverter and mounting system technology assessments, including inspection of PV manufacturing facilities;
• Solar project technology, contract, permit and design reviews;
• Technical and financial project review and due diligence;
• EPC and O&M contract development and optimization;
• Site inspections during development, construction and operation;
• Technical guidance on project acquisition and financing;
• Technical support in utility negotiation;
• Commissioning and acceptance testing support; and
• Operational plant assessment and optimisation.
The Renewable Energy Project Engineer will be engaged primarily in design and design review of renewable energy projects, both in solar and wind in Japan. Solar will be the main focus in the beginning. There will be opportunities to learn every technical aspect of renewable energy as the Renewable Energy Project Engineer will be serving for many projects. The Renewable Energy Project Engineer may also act as the lead project manager during a consulting engagement.
In service of project delivery, the Renewable Energy Project Engineer will be supported in Japan by the Solar Technical Project Manager, the Country Manager and the regional renewable energy competence teams. The Renewable Energy Project Engineer will:
• Perform design reviews of project developer/sponsor’s electrical and/or civil engineering design of solar PV plant / wind farm for potential investor/lender;
• Carry out high-level electrical and/or civil design work for project developer/sponsor;
• Assist DNV GL customers in the development of technical specifications and requirement for solar and wind projects;
• Perform site inspections to assess project construction quality and compliance with construction contracts;
• Perform reviews of project commissioning and acceptance testing reports;
• Technical report writing; and
• Develop or assist in the development of proposals.
In support of technical consulting, the Renewable Energy Project Engineer will work with subject matter experts from offices in Singapore and Melbourne.
The Renewable Energy Project Engineer will be responsible for enhancing and strengthening the DNV GL position in the Japanese solar and wind consultancy markets through strategic and operational partnerships and organic growth.
DNV GL is looking for a person with minimum of a Bachelor's degree in electrical or civil engineering with an emphasis on power systems, from an accredited university, and three years related work experience in renewables, power generation, power system design, or related field with a primarily electrical or civil engineering capacity.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Receive and respond to requests from Japanese and international customers for DNV GL support in the Japanese solar and wind business;
• Be supportive in initiating and developing leads for solar and wind proposals and projects, through visits to key existing customers and new contacts;
• Take part in project team performing engineering analyses, due diligence reviews and owner’s engineering tasks for PV projects, within the service offerings listed above;
• Coordinate localization as required to facilitate non-Japanese teams in Singapore and Australia (this may involve performing some translation and/or coordination translation services through a 3rd party);
• Manage local 3rd party engineering sub-consultants, as required, to augment regional technical teams; and
• Work closely with business development staff and technical teams responsible for our other activities in Energy Advisory and Renewables Advisory in the region to ensure successful business development;
Fluency in spoken and written English and Japanese(including Kanji) is mandatory requirement (TOEIC Score 700~, TOEFL PBT Score 540~).
The candidate shall have demonstrated technical knowledge and experience of electrical and/or civil engineering in Japan. Examples of past roles may include product development, project engineering and/or consulting. The Renewable Energy Project Engineer will be directly involved in the execution of customer deliverables, undertaking some aspects of the due diligence directly, while managing regional DNV GL technical teams and local sub-consultants as required. Working experience in Japan in solar, energy, medium/large-scale project development & engineering and energy financing, as well as knowledge of the local electrical codes and regulations will be viewed as a significant advantage.
Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, DNV GL enables organisations to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification and technical assurance along with software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas and energy industries. We also provide certification services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining leading technical and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, DNV GL empowers our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
Originated in 1864, DNV GL operates globally in more than 100 countries with our 15,000 professionals dedicated to helping our customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL – Energy, with more than 2,300 experts in over 30 countries around the world, is committed to driving the global transition toward a safe, reliable, efficient, and clean energy future. With a heritage of 150 years, we specialize in providing world-class, innovative solutions in the fields of business & technical consultancy, testing, inspections & certification, risk management, and verification.
DNV GL provides independent engineering services in support of the global solar PV and wind industries. Working with equipment manufacturers, project developers and financial institutions, we manage risk throughout the value chain, helping to ensure the safety and performance of systems of multi-megawatt power plants both in solar and wind energy.